How to Clean Diamond Jewelry at Home
This quotation rightly expresses what girls actually feel about diamonds. Diamonds are precious stones that have their own significance. Every girl in this world wishes to own it. A piece of diamond jewelry holds a special place in her life whether it is gifted by someone or bought on her own. That’s why, this special piece requires special care and attention to retain its beauty and shine. A clean diamond looks beautiful and vibrant as compared to a dirty one. These precious stones attract grease and dirt like magnets. Dirt can either form a film on their surface or settle below the setting in the jewelry. In both the cases, luster and brilliance of the diamond gets highly reduced. It is therefore necessary to clean your jewelry regularly.
Cleaners for Diamond Jewelry
Buy a quality glass cleaner that can be used to clean diamonds as well as other jewelry pieces. Spray a small amount of glass cleaner on the jewelry and scrub away the settled dirt on the surface using your finger. Use a soft bristle toothbrush to remove the debris settled beneath the groves and settings in the jewelry. Lotions, creams, and other items tend to settle beneath the stones which must be removed to regain its lost luster. After scrubbing, wash the jewelry with warm water and dry it using a soft lint-free cloth.
Use a mild dishwashing liquid to clean your diamond jewelry. Pour a few drops of the liquid in a bowl containing warm water and place the jewelry in it. After sometime, pick the jewelry piece and clean the debris using a soft toothbrush. Like the previous method, wash away the liquid soap with warm water and wipe it off using a microfiber cloth.
Lestoil is a very popular cleaning agent used for household cleaning. You can clean your diamond jewelry in the same way using lestoil, as mentioned for dishwashing liquid.
Ammonia can also be used for cleaning diamond jewelry. All you have got to do is, take one part water and one part ammonia and mix them together. Soak the jewelry in the ammonia-water mix for not more than 15 seconds. Take the jewelry out and clean the debris entrapped within the jewelry settings. Once done, rinse with water and dry using a clean non-abrasive cloth.
It is a popular cleansing solution easily available in supermarkets. Mix eight parts warm water with one part Mr. Clean in a bowl. Place the diamond jewelry in the solution for 15 minutes. Take out the jewelry and brush off the grease and debris accumulated on the diamond and in the jewelry. Rinse it using hot water and leave it aside to dry.
Useful Tips for Diamond Jewelry
- Do not use strong cleaners as they can adversely affect the luster of the diamond.
- Keep your diamonds away from strong chemicals like hair sprays, etc., as their chemical composition might prove harmful for the precious stone.
- Do not wear your diamond jewelry when doing rough work like washing utensils, house cleaning, etc.
- Avoid contact of diamonds with chlorine as it can damage the shine and mounting of these precious stones.
- Use a jewelry case to store your diamond jewelry. Wrap individual jewelry pieces in separate zip lock packets or tissue paper, to prevent jumbling of the jewelry pieces together.
- In case of a disturbed mounting, go to the jeweler and get the setting rectified. Loose fitted diamonds tend to fall off and I am sure, you cannot afford to lose your precious diamonds.
If you follow the methods stated above to clean your jewelry, you will not have any problem in maintaining their beauty. Diamonds are rare and precious. Not every woman in this world is lucky enough to own a diamond jewelry. So if you are among the lucky few, make sure you appreciate the fact and do your best to take care of it, so that it can add to your beauty today and can be passed on to the future generations of your family as diamonds last forever!