Monthly Archives: October 2016
This quotation rightly expresses what girls actually feel about diamonds. Diamonds are precious stones that have their own significance. Every girl in this world wishes to own it. A piece of diamond jewelry holds a special place in her life whether it is gifted by someone or bought on her own. That’s why, this special piece requires special care and attention to retain its beauty and shine. A clean diamond looks beautiful and vibrant as compared to a dirty one. These precious stones attract grease and dirt like magnets. Dirt can either form a film on their surface or settle below the setting in the jewelry. In both the cases, luster and brilliance of the diamond gets highly reduced. It is therefore necessary to clean your jewelry regularly.
Cleaners for Diamond Jewelry
Buy a quality glass cleaner that can be used to clean diamonds as well as other jewelry pieces. Spray a small amount of glass cleaner on the jewelry and scrub away the settled dirt on the surface using your finger. Use a soft bristle toothbrush to remove the debris settled beneath the groves and settings in the jewelry. Lotions, creams, and other items tend to settle beneath the stones which must be removed to regain its lost luster. After scrubbing, wash the jewelry with warm water and dry it using a soft lint-free cloth.
Use a mild dishwashing liquid to clean your diamond jewelry. Pour a few drops of the liquid in a bowl containing warm water and place the jewelry in it. After sometime, pick the jewelry piece and clean the debris using a soft toothbrush. Like the previous method, wash away the liquid soap with warm water and wipe it off using a microfiber cloth.
Lestoil is a very popular cleaning agent used for household cleaning. You can clean your diamond jewelry in the same way using lestoil, as mentioned for dishwashing liquid.
Ammonia can also be used for cleaning diamond jewelry. All you have got to do is, take one part water and one part ammonia and mix them together. Soak the jewelry in the ammonia-water mix for not more than 15 seconds. Take the jewelry out and clean the debris entrapped within the jewelry settings. Once done, rinse with water and dry using a clean non-abrasive cloth.
It is a popular cleansing solution easily available in supermarkets. Mix eight parts warm water with one part Mr. Clean in a bowl. Place the diamond jewelry in the solution for 15 minutes. Take out the jewelry and brush off the grease and debris accumulated on the diamond and in the jewelry. Rinse it using hot water and leave it aside to dry.
Useful Tips for Diamond Jewelry
- Do not use strong cleaners as they can adversely affect the luster of the diamond.
- Keep your diamonds away from strong chemicals like hair sprays, etc., as their chemical composition might prove harmful for the precious stone.
- Do not wear your diamond jewelry when doing rough work like washing utensils, house cleaning, etc.
- Avoid contact of diamonds with chlorine as it can damage the shine and mounting of these precious stones.
- Use a jewelry case to store your diamond jewelry. Wrap individual jewelry pieces in separate zip lock packets or tissue paper, to prevent jumbling of the jewelry pieces together.
- In case of a disturbed mounting, go to the jeweler and get the setting rectified. Loose fitted diamonds tend to fall off and I am sure, you cannot afford to lose your precious diamonds.
If you follow the methods stated above to clean your jewelry, you will not have any problem in maintaining their beauty. Diamonds are rare and precious. Not every woman in this world is lucky enough to own a diamond jewelry. So if you are among the lucky few, make sure you appreciate the fact and do your best to take care of it, so that it can add to your beauty today and can be passed on to the future generations of your family as diamonds last forever!
What is a diamond? A gem stone? A symbol of eternity? A declaration of undying love? I think the best way to describe diamonds, immortalized by the gorgeous Marilyn Monroe, is “Diamonds are a woman’s best friend.” Every woman will agree that truer words were never spoken. Every woman treasures a diamond. Believe it when it’s said that the three things that can cheer up a glum woman are chocolate, shopping, and jewelry (not necessarily in that order). And when it comes to jewelry, what better than diamond jewelry to appease the woman you love, the woman you treasure. A lot has been said about diamond rings, especially diamond engagement rings. Here, in this article, why don’t we see the array of choices in diamond earrings, that are available for us these days. I’m sure, by the end of it, you’ll want to add a couple of them to your collection.
Let’s begin with the different colored diamonds that are used to make gorgeous diamond earrings. There are quite a few of these colored gemstones that are used. Read ahead and decide which one you want.
Black Magic: If you want something mysterious and chic, go in for black diamond earrings. They have that elegant and alluring look about them that can make anyone go weak in the knees (and I do mean ANYONE!). Simple black diamond stud earrings look fantastic when paired with a plain necklace with a matching pendant. A suggestion would be to wear this color for formal, evening occasions.
Cool Blue: If you’re one of those calm and collected personalities, then you should definitely be wearing jewelry that complements your poise and grace. Get yourselves a stunning pair of blue diamond earrings to do the trick. Nothing looks more refined and neat than a woman bearing glistening blue diamonds in her ears. So get a pair at once!
Divine Chocolate: No woman (well, almost no woman) can resist the temptation of chocolate. Neither of diamonds. So, the perfect gift for your sweetheart would be a pair of chocolate diamond earrings. These champagne-colored stones are sure to make her heart flutter. And the best part is, if you’re looking for inexpensive diamond earrings, then this is the ideal choice. They’re stylish, they’re inexpensive (at least compared to the others) and they look simply stunning. You really cannot ask for more.
Classic White: Yes, though the ones mentioned above are all beautiful, nothing can match the classic beauty of white diamond earrings. The finesse and dazzling beauty of a perfectly cut and polished diamond earring can only be appreciated by a proud owner of one of these beauties. So, if you’re not sure about any of the colored ones, don’t hesitate about going in for the heavenly white ones.
As far as shapes are concerned, I’ve decided to tell you about a couple of them here. So, let’s just get straight to it then.
Pretty Princess: Among diamond earrings, princess cut diamond earrings are probably the most popular ones. They are square-shaped diamonds that look tasteful and sophisticated, especially when set in a yellow gold or white gold base.
Dasher Asscher: Asscher cut diamond earrings are a mysteriously cut diamond shape. They appear to be square-shaped if you look at them from above, but they’re actually cuboid in shape. These diamonds have bejeweled quite a few well-known people from the ancient times of emperors to recent celebrities too.
Pair ‘o Pears: A favorite among many women, pear-shaped diamond earrings have that oomph factor. They’re also called tear-shaped earrings. Whatever you call them, they’ll always be among the top shapes that a woman would want her diamond to be.
There are a variety of sizes and shapes to pick from when it comes to flaunting your precious diamonds. Here’s a peek at the best shapes for small studs or long.
- Tear Drops
- Plain Round
- Dangling Chandeliers
- Simple Hoops
Diamonds mean much more to a woman than just a piece of jewelry. So, if you’re thinking of getting one for yourself (or for your better half), just make sure that the type of earrings you buy are worthy of the exquisite woman who’s going to be wearing them.
Whether you are buying a diamond ring for engagement, wedding or just like that, no doubt you want it look elegant and gorgeous. To find the perfect one for you, you need to know which diamond shape and ring setting will look good on you or the one you are gifting it to. There are myriads of styles and designs in diamond rings and choosing one might seem like an insurmountable task. Whether you love the simplicity of a brilliant cut round solitaire or the elegance of a three stone mounting, there are lots of diamond ring styles to choose from. Before you make a trip to the jewelers to view their selection of diamond rings, it is best to know about the different styles in diamond rings as well as the different mountings used. This will ensure that you find the perfect diamond ring for yourself and you are satisfied with the design and style. One thing that you should never compromise in is the cut and clarity of the stone. A bigger diamond with inclusions and flaws will not look great. If your budget does not permit a big one than go for smaller diamonds instead.
Diamond Engagement Ring Styles
The shape of the diamond, the setting used and the design of the ring are all important components that determines the beauty and look of a diamond engagement ring.
Solitaire Diamond Ring
A solitaire diamond ring is what every women aspires to wear on her fingers. Solitaires are special diamonds that has been cut impeccably and have clarity and brilliance. Solitaires comes in many shapes and sizes and are usually mounted on gold and platinum with a prong setting. The most popular solitaire ring styles are:
- Round cut diamond solitaire ring
- Princess cut diamond solitaire ring
- Emerald cut diamond solitaire ring
- Marquise cut diamond solitaire ring
- Asscher cut diamond solitaire ring
- Pear cut diamond solitaire ring
- Cushion cut diamond solitaire ring
- Heart cut diamond solitaire ring
- Trillian cut diamond solitaire ring
Three Stone Diamond Ring
Perhaps one of the most striking diamond ring style, a three stone diamond ring is a classic. It is a suitable option for a wedding ring or engagement ring. A three stone diamond ring has a central diamond that is flanked by two stones on either sides of it. Usually a princess cut diamond is set in the center with two smaller trillian cut diamonds on both sides. Many designer diamond rings are designed in this style.
Diamond Ring with Side Stones
A variation of the three stone diamond ring, a diamond ring with side stones consist of a central diamond that is flanked with two or more diamonds on each sides. The side stones are usually brilliant cut diamonds of a smaller size. But side stones can also be some other jewel like amethyst, ruby, sapphire and topaz.
Cluster Diamond Ring
A cluster diamond ring has several smaller stones flanking a central diamond. Cluster rings are generally made into cocktail rings. Different diamond cuts like marquise and baguette are generally used for making a cluster diamond ring. Cluster diamond ring can vary in sizes and designs from small simple ones to very ornately designed ones.
Pave Diamond Ring
In a pave diamond ring style, a central stone which can be of a princess cut or any other cut is surrounded by smaller diamonds that are set very close together. It is a very popular diamond ring designs and is a great selection if you want a stunning design at a low cost.
Channel Set Diamond Ring
In a channel set diamond ring a row of diamonds, usually round cut or baguette cut are held together by two tracks of metal. This style of diamond rings are preferred by women who likes a sophisticated design but does not want to compromise on the bling factor.
Colored Diamond Ring
One of the most popular and modern diamond ring styles is the colored diamond ring. In such rings, a colored diamond like canary yellow, pink, champagne or blue is used as the central stone.
If you are shopping for a diamond ring on a budget, then the best designs are pave set diamond rings. Not all ring styles looks good on a person’s hand, so choose a style that suits you.
Diamonds are highly valued for the looks they offer. It is said that the inner surfaces of these stones refract light and this is the reason behind their sparkling nature. However, accumulation of dirt or other substances like oil, lotion, etc., may affect the sparkle of the stone. So, wearing diamond rings while doing household chores, exposes these precious stones to various materials. With time, the stone will get accumulated with dirt, which can affect its sheen. The stone will no more be sparkling and will look dull. In such cases, you have to clean the ring, so as to bring back that sheen. Regular cleaning will be useful in maintaining the brilliance of your diamond ring.
Tips for Cleaning a Diamond Ring
The most important point to keep in mind about diamonds is that they have to be handled carefully. These expensive stones must be kept away from dirt, harsh chemicals and contact with coarse substances. If you wear a diamond ring daily (as in case of engagement or wedding ring), then it needs to be cleaned regularly. As the diamond is exposed to various materials used in your day-to-day activities, there are chances that they lose sheen due to accumulated dirt.
Cleaning a diamond ring can be done on your own or by the jeweler. If the ring is too expensive or an antique piece, it is always better to approach the jeweler, who has modern techniques to clean these stones. If the ring has other precious stones, along with the diamond, then also, it will be better to approach the jeweler for cleaning the stones. Some of the jewelers provide their customers with a complete diamond cleaning set as well as cleaning instructions. In such cases, all you have to do is to follow the instructions. Simple diamond rings can be cleaned at home, if you know the right methods. You have to keep in mind not to use harsh chemicals, soap bars or coarse brushes for cleaning diamonds. Knowing the particular diamond ring style may also prove helpful.
- First of all, spread a towel on a flat surface in a location that provides you with plenty of light. This can be your cleaning space. If you are cleaning the ring inside a sink, make sure that the drain is closed properly or else grip the ring tightly.
- Take a bowl and pour a cup of lukewarm water into it. Mix ¼ cup of ammonia in the bowl and keep the ring in the solution for at least three to five minutes.
- If the ring is very dirty, then wait for at least 15 minutes, before you take it out of the solution. Once you take the ring out, rinse it with plain lukewarm water and use a soft toothbrush to clean the stone.
- Otherwise, use a solution of water mixed with a small amount of dish washing liquid for this purpose. You may use a kids toothbrush for cleaning diamonds at home.
- Dry the stone and the ring with a lint-free cloth, after you rinse the ring thoroughly with plain water. Use the cloth to polish the stone, so that it sparkles after cleaning.
- You may skip the step of cleaning diamonds with ammonia. All you have to do is to prepare a solution of one part mild dish washing liquid with plain water and use it for cleaning diamonds.
- In this case too, you have to soak the ring for at least 20 minutes, if it is too dirty. Otherwise, just swirling the ring in the solution and cleaning with a soft toothbrush will be enough. Rinse well before drying the stone.
- Some people use baking soda for cleaning diamond rings that are slightly dirty. A paste made of baking soda and water is used for this purpose. The paste is applied over the stone, which is then cleaned with a soft brush.
- The ring is then rinsed with plain water and dried with a soft lint-free cloth.
- You might have heard about cleaning diamond rings with vinegar. A mixture of equal parts of white vinegar and water is used for this purpose. The ring is soaked for 10 to 15 minutes, before brushing with a soft brush.
- Rinse in plain water and dry the stone immediately.
- If you are doubtful about these methods, you may resort to commercial cleaning solutions meant for diamonds.
- In that case, you need to follow the instructions on the package, so as to clean your diamond ring.
- Whatever may be the method you choose for cleaning a diamond ring, you have to make sure that you dry the ring as well as the stone, as soon as possible. A lint-free cloth is always preferred, as air drying may cause water spots on the stone.
- As mentioned above, jewelers too provide the service of cleaning diamonds (usually free of cost). They usually employ methods like steam cleaning, ultrasound cleaning, etc.
- Even sulfuric acid cleaning is one such method used by jewelers, for cleaning diamonds. This type of cleaning is required for rings that are very dirty. They may charge you for this cleaning method.
- It is always better to seek the opinion of the jeweler (from whom you buy the ring) with regard to diamond cleaning methods. If he is providing you with instructions or cleaning solutions, you have to use them only.
Otherwise, try the above said methods carefully. You can prevent diamond rings from getting dirty, by removing them before handling chemicals, cosmetics, oil, soil and other such materials. Even cleaning of diamonds should be done, only when it is necessary. Frequent cleaning may also cause the sparkle of these stones to fade away.